- Reduce PC noise during standby or when discrete GPU not in use
- Reduce generated heat from GPU when not in use
- Build eco-friendly PC systems with lower power consumption
- Extend overall system longevity
Power Off Discrete GPU When Not In Use
VirtuWatt is a GPU power management solution that enables completely powering off a discrete GPU when it is not is use. Discrete GPU add-in-cards (AIC) are widely used in desktop PC systems to deliver ultimate performance in graphical applications such as games, 3D CAD software and more. Modern discrete GPUs are power demanding devices that draw significant amount of power from the PC power supply. Discrete GPUs typically generate a lot of heat during operation, commanding the use of dedicated cooling solutions such as fans. Cooling solutions are also one of the major sources on noise generated in desktop PC systems. Powering off the discrete GPU when it is not required by the system reduces the power consumption, generated system heat and noise.
The VirtuWatt solution comprises of a hardware reference design and a software package. The hardware control circuit enables electrical power down of the discrete GPU AIC and may be integrated on a PC motherboard or on discrete GPU AIC. The VirtuWatt reference design is field proven and has already been successfully integrated into PC systems by some of the world’s leading PC vendors.
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
- CPU: Intel Core processor with integrated GPU (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Haswell).
- GPU power control: Motherboard or GPU AIC power control adaptations compatible with VirtuWatt reference design.